Tuesday 17 December 2013

Coming home

I was oddly nervous about going home. 

I could feel myself shaking that morning, the sort of nerves I only get before performing. I was unsure of what was going to happen when I arrived home; I was worrying that maybe everything had changed and that everyone I cared for had forgotten about me. A lot of irrational thoughts, but still... 

The airport experience in the U.S was different to the one had experienced trying to get into the States. Instead of the grueling questions and being taken in for extra searches, I was asked nothing, no one asked to see my visa/visa forms and there was one search. If that didn't say 'thanks for leaving our country', I don't know what does. 

The journey home was comfortable. Although the journey was delayed by approximately two hours, we arrived in London on time (turns out they decided to take a short cut and the flight became seven hours rather than nine...). I didn't sleep very well on the plane. There was so much going around my head. Although I desperately wanted to go home, the truth was that I had got used to not seeing anyone I knew. 
The other harsh truth was that this journey meant that half of the adventure was already over. 

STOP. 

Before you continue, play this to finish the rest of this blog... 


I woke up after maybe an hour, looked out of my window and suddenly saw land. I saw those wonderful green hills for the first time in four months. Although I had grown used to Texas, there was something rather ugly about the barren, brown terrain of Texas. I suppose when I have always lived on the border of the countryside, I have become close to these green flowing hills and until I saw them for the first time in such a long time, I didn't realise how much I had missed them. 

Flying into Heathrow, we circled London and from the skies I could see the Thames, the Millennium Dome and the London Eye. When stuck in Denton, I had realised how lucky I was at home to live so close to the capital and one of the most important cultural, political and financial centres on the planet.

Running through customs and grabbing my suitcase I saw my Mum and Dad for the first time in too long, as I entered arrivals. 

I feel like a douche. I just cried over writing about bloody hills. 

No comments:

Post a Comment