Sunday 1 September 2013

American Football

So on Saturday I went to my first ever American Football game. It wasn't really the best weather for it as it was a burning 40+ degrees in the sun and we were given the seats that didn't have any shade. 

However, there was a big group of the exchange students going and there seemed to be a lot going on outside the stadium as it was homecoming. 


We were thoroughly searched before we entered the stadium and were given lots of Mean Green merchandise including pompoms and stickers. There were a lot of people at the game including students and family members. It seemed to be a really big event for the university. I still couldn't get over the size of all the facilities. After talking to a few of the American students, they were extremely surprised that the British didn't have such a big following on university sports. 


It must be said, I didn't really learn many of the rules of the game. I learned that it was important to chuck the ball at the end of the pitch (this is known as a touch down) and that you were to try and stop the opposing team from doing the same. 

However, I learned some more valuable things during this time: 

1) I could sweat from places that I never knew I could sweat from. The only way I can describe the heat here is that it's like a hairdryer. It doesn't burn you, it just consumes you and sitting in it for so long was starting to make me feel really grubby. My lips were starting to taste pretty salty. 
Nomnomnomnomnom. 

2) American football is not just about the football. It is essentially one giant party. You have the marching band that plays throughout the game, during the half-time and before the match (by the way, they were incredible). You have the cheerleaders who perform during the game and run on the pitch with flags every time the home team has a touchdown. You have dancers that perform with the marching band during half time. You have cannons that go off whenever the home team score. You have members of the military bring in the flags at the beginning of the game. I have only been here for a week and I have already sung the national anthem twice. 



3. Fifteen minutes is never fifteen minutes in American Football. 

x

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bryony

    I am a friend of Kerry Watson (we went to school together) and she told me about your blog. I also went to North Texas as an exchange student to do music. It was nearly 30 years ago but much of what you have said about your arrival, the size of the music department and the One O'clock band still rings true. One of my favourite buildings on the campus was the library.

    I hope you settle in OK. I found it very culturally different to an English Uni but once I got used to it I had a really good time there.
    Best wishes
    Cali Bird

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Cali!

      WOW. This is so strange that you did exactly the same thing as me! So far I've settled in quite well. It is very different, but I've been very lucky in the sense that I'm surrounded by other exchange students - we're all in the same position!

      I'm hoping to keep this updated, so keep a look out :)

      Bryony

      Delete