Sunday 1 September 2013

Exploring... McDonald's

Being surrounded by fast food has inspired me and Inge to try every single delicacy before we leave the States. We have seen everything from McDonald's to Wendy's to Taco Bell and we want to try it and we want to review it. 

It seemed obvious to start with one of the planets most popular fast-food joints. 

Bryony and Inge explore.... McDonald's



So we have decided compare the Denton McDonald's to the British/Dutch McDonald's. Obviously we won't be able to compare every food place as many of these companies do not exist in our countries (Wendy's, Whataburger etc.) 

Anyway, this is what we discovered... 

Service: 

The service was fairly slow, but in England this varies wherever I go across the country. The one in Luton is fairly speedy, whilst the one that was a five minute walk away in Edgbaston took about fifteen minutes to order and another fifteen minutes to actually get the meal. We both agreed that we couldn't base it on one experience. 

Winner: Draw 

Food: 

Big Mac 


A few of my friends have been abroad recently and have told me about this 'double big mac' they had come across. However, I was pretty disappointed to discover that they didn't have one in Denton. They did have a few things on the menu that I had never seen before (the McRib, Chicken Club sandwich), but I decided to stick to a home favourite. 

I was pretty disappointed to find that the Big Mac was the same size as the British Big Mac. I was hoping for a mega burger, but I was rather let down! Initially the taste was very similar, however it was clear that the thousand island sauce inside was rather different, but pretty good in it's own way. 

However, Inge and I were pretty disappointed by the bun. The bun in Europe is a lot harder, whilst the American bun is softer and as a result, it was crumbling and I found myself gripping just the burger by the end. 

Thank God I had some tissues. 

Winner: Europe 

Chips 



The quantity of chips was American size. That is, I ordered a medium and was given a British large sized. They were pretty damn good, I couldn't complain. Enough salt on them and hot and tasty. 
Nom nom nom. 

Winner: USA 

Drink 



Again, I ordered a medium and the drink was massive - the size of a British large. I ordered a coke and like the home, it was largely watered down and disappointing for coke. 
McDonald's - sort it out. 

Winner: Draw 

Overall, I would have preferred the burger to have been bigger, just to complete the American experience. That and a harder bun, would have made it into the greatest burger on the planet. All in all, it was pretty good, but if I go back before I leave, I reckon I'll try one of the burgers we don't get back home and see how that tastes.

x

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm... American Maccy D's! Yeah the sauce tastes wrong coz it's made with high fructose corn syrup. Have you tried Heinz ketchup yet? Yeuch! And American bread is just crap! :-D

    ReplyDelete