Friday 14 June 2013

The beginning of my third year adventure

Hello!

My name is Bryony and I have just finished my second year at the University of Birmingham, England.


Last November, I rang my Mum and said:
'What would you say if I studied in America for a year?'

To say the least, she wasn't expecting that.



It is the first year in over a decade that they have allowed music students to study abroad as a part of their degree (unless the music student was joint honours with a language). At first I applied on the basis that I was unsure I was going to get a place at all. Safe to say I didn't take it hugely seriously to begin with...


However, in January I discovered that I had indeed been accepted into the University of North Texas and more recently, I had been accepted on to the vocal studies programme and instead of studying musicology, I will have a year to focus on singing and discover what life is like at music college.

I've heard the women in these places can be brutal...


Let's hope for the best. I mean, come on... the American education system can't be like Mean Girls surely? It's like if all people were to base the English on say... Blackadder





or Jeremy Kyle.


All I can say citizens of America, you cannot judge. I have watched Jerry Springer, the Steve Wilkos show and Dr Phil (OMIGOD I'M GOING TO THE SAME UNIVERSITY AS DR PHIL) and the guests are far trashier...

A few of my friends have put together a couple of 'white lies' I should tell on my year abroad (of course I would never do such a thing).
The challenge is to fool someone into believing:

  1. In some pubs in England, tea is so popular that they serve it on the tap.
  2. Sherlock Holmes is in fact a historical character. 
  3. The reason why the Geordie accent is so different and distinct is because Newcastle is in fact an island and as a result they have developed a different dialect. 
  4. Every British person will take a pilgrimage to Stonehenge. It is a time-honoured tradition. 
To be honest, I don't believe I could pull this off without laughing, so if you're having a year abroad and feel cruel, take a few off my list. 


Well, from now I'm going to try and keep an updated account of my year abroad experience. I had my visa interview today, now that was fun... 



I am thrilled that I'm going to Dallas though. The city looks bloody incredible and hopefully I'll have the opportunity to get out more and see other states as well!



P.S. Please comment! Would be nice to get some feedback (and it would be nice to see who actually reads my ramblings).

No comments:

Post a Comment