Friday 14 June 2013

Visa interview


I had my visa interview today and truth be told, I was rather nervous about it! It was an early start, my coach was due to leave at 6:30am and I couldn't get to sleep until half one, so by the morning I was pretty knackered.


The first major cock-up of the day had to be when I discovered I had booked the wrong coach- the 7:15am. Luckily, the man at the desk was nice enough to change my ticket without charging me any extra. Mister Reception-man, I <3 you.


The coach for the first time EVER arrived early, so I spent half an hour reading in a coffee, trying to estimate the time with no clock. Now normally I am one of these anti-social people, who constantly have their phone or some form of electronics attached to them. This trip to the embassy was hard- you are allowed not allowed to bring any electrical equipment with you into the embassy. I had the choice to leave it in a locker, but because I didn't want to pay £15, my phone was left at home.


The first thing I noticed about the embassy was that there were a lot of guns. If that doesn't shout 'WELCOME TO AMERICA', I don't know what does. I felt mildly intimidated by one of the guards who was loudly demanding several bits of documentation at once.


However, once I was in and realised that I had actually brought all of the right documentation, the interview process ran quite smoothly.

BUT.

At the back of my mind, I was going through every single piece of documentation I had gone through.
Oh gosh.
I had put my middle name on my SEVIS form, but not my other forms.
Omigod, are they going to think I'm another person.
I put student finance as my sponsor. Is it my second cousin?
Am I the sponsor?
Are we all the sponsors?
WHY COULD I ONLY PICK ONE SPONSOR!!!
Oh no. That can't be a cut on my thumb.
IT'S ONLY THE SIZE OF A PIN PRICK BUT IT'S A CUT.


The sweat was actually pouring down my face and I was beginning to get worried about what questions they were going to ask and whether my fingerprints were going to be accepted.
My number was called and I moved to the interview block. The man was very nice and asked which university I was currently studying at and why I was planning on coming back to the UK and lo and behold...


The only downside really was that I was told the interview would be about four hours long. It was two hours at the most. I left the embassy around one and had four hours to blow before my coach was due to leave. Luckily it was quite a nice day, so I spent it around London, visiting Chappell music shop and sitting in the park, sunbathing and reading a novel.

Now my visa has been accepted, I can actually do the BIG THING and book the flights.

No comments:

Post a Comment